KARA.NÎYA-METTA-SUTTA

  • Yawares Sastri
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11 8:47 AM

      Dear Antony/Sharon,

      I think this sutta is so wonderful!

      KARA.NÎYA-METTA-SUTTA [Journals Buddhist Articles]

      THE DISCOURSE NAMED KARA.NÎYA-METTA.

         I declare the Protection (or Paritta) by the power of which the demons shall display not dreadful sights; by which he who is urgently occupied by day or night may sleep securely, and sleeping see nothing evil.

         1. These things must be attended to by the man wise  p. 231 in securing advantages who desires to ascertain the path to Nibbâna: Let him be skilful, upright, honest, mild in speech, gentle, free from arrogance.

         2. Let him be cheerful, contented, unencumbered with business, with little property, having his passions under control, wise, temperate, not desirous of obtaining much from those who assist him.

         3. Let him not engage in any law-pursuit for which he might be censured by the wise! May every being experience happiness, peace, and mental enjoyment!

         4-5. Whatever sentient being may exist, erratic or stationary, or or whatever kind, long, or tall, or middle-sized, or short, or stout, seen or unseen, near or remote, born or otherwise existing, may every being be happy!

         6. In whatever place they may be, let no one deceive or dishonour another! Let there be no desire from wrath or malice to injure each other!

         7. As a mother protects with her life the child of her bosom, so let immeasurable benevolence prevail among all beings!

         8. Let unbounded kindness and benevolence prevail throughout the universe, above, below, around, without partiality, anger or enmity!

         9. Let these dispositions be established in all who are awake, whether standing, walking, sitting or reclining, this place is thus constituted a holy residence.

         10. If the virtuous man who has not attained to perfection, yet perceives it, subdues his desire for sensual objects, certainly he shall not again be a lier in the womb.

      *******
      yawares