Re: Gladdening the Mind Contemplating Non-Problems (from March 2012)

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hi all -

      >Antony: Today I realized that I celebrate most intensely about things I haven't done or don't have. I have never drunk alcohol for example which I usually forget how wonderful that is. ... The idea of a healthy body is usually vague and in Buddhist philosophy it is problematic whether it is even possible, but a non-toothache or non-sore throat is undeniably something tangible and wonderful.

      Tep: In Buddhism the main concern is about awareness of the mind (whether it is unhealthy or healthy) AND what the bkikkhu should do once he has understood his mind.

      " When reflecting if the bhikkhu knows, for most of the time I abide coveting (abhijjha, kaama-chanda), abide with an angry mind, abide with sloth and torpor, abide restlessly worrying, abide with doubts, abide with hatred, abide with a defiled mind, abide with a violent angry body, abide lazy and distracted, he should arouse a lot of interest, effort, zeal, unhindered action and mindful awareness to dispel those demeritorious things."
      "When reflecting if the bhikkhu knows, for most of the time I abide not coveting, abide without an angry mind, abide without sloth and torpor, abide balanced, abide with doubts dispelled, abide without hatred, abide with an undefiled mind, abide without a violent angry body, abide with aroused effort concentrated, then he should be established in those meritorious things and should further apply himself to destroy desires." [Anguttara Nikaya 10.6 Sacittavaggo 51.]

      The Rahula Sutta MN 61 is another good one.

      "Thus, Rahula, you should train yourself: 'I will purify my bodily actions through repeated reflection. I will purify my verbal actions through repeated reflection. I will purify my mental actions through repeated reflection.' That's how you should train yourself."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.061.than.html

      Be well,
      Tep
      ===