Meaning of Immeasurable & Infinite Compassion (2013 version)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2013
      Infinite Compassion doesn't mean that the one person in front of you is an extremely small, insignificant percentage of suffering humanity. The Buddha didn't tell the monks to calculate an estimate of the population of the world when spreading metta to all beings. In mathematics infinity is not a very large number but an ungraspable, mysterious reality.

      Immeasurable Compassion doesn't mean regarding as negligible tiny gestures of love and goodwill in the mind which can't be measured anyway in material terms. The success of metta practice can't be delimited by the Eight Worldly Concerns (gain/loss, praise/blame, fame/obscurity, pleasure/pain). This idea in itself will take a huge load off my practice.

      Infinite Compassion means that the desire to cultivate metta for all beings can always be followed through on, even if it is indirectly via rejoicing in the merit-making of virtual friends from the ancient Buddhist scriptures. So the challenge of seeking out acts of merit to rejoice over (anumodana) can be looked after whilst looking up sacred texts to straighten one's views. The Dhamma is a living refuge and not just a how-to manual to be read, implemented in the world and then forgotten, which again would be limiting Nirvana to the Eight Worldly Concerns.

      If the mathematics of probability have to be brought into consideration at all, then what is to be comprehended is to minimize the amount of stressful effort required (in one's net of empathy not just one's personal predicament) for the probability of one breaking the moral precepts to reach zero. Zero multiplied by Infinity is a question that mathematicians would agree is beyond the scope of what any human being can be expected to do.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
    • Yawares Sastri
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2013

        --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" wrote:

        > Immeasurable Compassion doesn't mean regarding as negligible tiny gestures of love and goodwill in the mind which can't be measured anyway in material terms. The success of metta practice can't be delimited by the Eight Worldly Concerns (gain/loss, praise/blame, fame/obscurity, pleasure/pain). This idea in itself will take a huge load off my practice.
        >
        > Infinite Compassion means that the desire to cultivate metta for all beings can always be followed through on, even if it is indirectly via rejoicing in the merit-making of virtual friends from the ancient Buddhist scriptures. So the challenge of seeking out acts of merit to rejoice over (anumodana) can be looked after whilst looking up sacred texts to straighten one's views. The Dhamma is a living refuge and not just a how-to manual to be read, implemented in the world and then forgotten, which again would be limiting Nirvana to the Eight Worldly Concerns.
        Dear Antony,

        I like your article very much.

        yawares