Unless we have compassion we cannot enjoy life (Lama Zopa Rinpoche)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2013
      "Without compassion, life is miserable. People who are only concerned about themselves and whose hearts are empty of affection and compassion for others have no real peace or happiness. Unless we have compassion, no matter how much wealth, education, or power or how many friends we have, we have no peace or happiness, and we cannot enjoy life. Lack of affection and compassion for others brings loneliness, depress, and many other problems."
      http://www.wisdompubs.org/pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=32781&-Token.Action=&image=1
      ~ Lama Zopa Rinpoche, "Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion",
      Wisdom Publications, 2001.

      Thanks Sharon for posting this in December 2002.

      Antony: This answers a question I've had in recent days. Is compassion for others something additional on top of one's personal predicament? That compassion for others is foundational is a helpful insight.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2013
        More below:

        > "Without compassion, life is miserable. People who are only concerned about themselves and whose hearts are empty of affection and compassion for others have no real peace or happiness. Unless we have compassion, no matter how much wealth, education, or power or how many friends we have, we have no peace or happiness, and we cannot enjoy life. Lack of affection and compassion for others brings loneliness, depress, and many other problems."
        > http://www.wisdompubs.org/pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=32781&-Token.Action=&image=1
        > ~ Lama Zopa Rinpoche, "Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion",
        > Wisdom Publications, 2001.
        >
        > Thanks Sharon for posting this in December 2002.
        >
        > Antony: This answers a question I've had in recent days. Is compassion for others something additional on top of one's personal predicament? That compassion for others is foundational is a helpful insight.
        >
        > With metta / Antony.
        ++++++
        Antony: This gives me a sense of impermanence and non-self too, as other people who are the objects of compassion are clearly "on the move" whereas it is a common delusion to assume that even one's own long-term problems always refer back to a constantly existing body-subject.