Lama Yeshe on equanimity

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
      "Why do you feel elated when praised and dejected when criticized?
      It's because you don't accept the way things truly are. You're
      controlled by your hallucinating mind, which is totally divorced from
      reality. Whether you're good or bad isn't determined by what other
      people think but by your own actions. These are your own
      responsibility. If all your actions are positive, even if I
      say, 'You're bad, you're bad, you're bad…' all day, it won't affect
      your qualities. Therefore, you should understand what really makes an
      action positive or negative. It's not defined by what other people
      think.

      "This is scientific fact, not religious dogma. If you go up and down
      because of what other people say, you're hallucinating; you're not
      seeing reality. You should have strong confidence in your own actions
      and take full responsibility for them. Then, even if all sentient
      beings turn against you, you'll still be laughing. When you know what
      you are, you never get upset. If, on the other hand, your body and
      mind are weak, if you have no self-confidence and feel insecure, then
      of course you're going to experience problems."

      ~ Lama Thubten Yeshe, "Karma, Reality, and Belief," excerpted from
      Mandala Magazine, April/May 2004. (Excerpted from a teaching by Lama
      Yeshe at Chenrezig Institute, Australia, edited by Dr. Nick Ribush.
      The entire lecture can be found online at www.LamaYeshe.com.)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2014

        "Worldly happiness is OK, but judge it reasonably. Enjoy it without grasping at it as real, which only results in more pain. That's all that Buddhism is talking about. You should have pleasure and not feel guilty when you do. What do I mean by pleasure? It's a feeling that satisfies you for a moment and doesn't disturb your mind. You get a little pleasure  -  that's good enough. Accept it for what it is and don't feel guilty. Be as happy as possible. If you're irritated, how can you be peaceful within yourself or give happiness to those around you?

        "If I'm crying my eyes out and at the same time saying, 'I want to give you happiness, I want to give you happiness,' you're not going to know how to handle me. 'He wants to give me happiness but he's crying.' Soon you're going to start crying too. All we do is make each other cry.

        "Therefore, if you're experiencing pleasure, be reasonable; remain calm and clear, even if you notice that your grasping mind is there beneath it all. And if you have a feeling of loving kindness towards another, enjoy that too. Don't feel guilty."

        ~ Lama Yeshe

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2014
          "There are many instances in which mind can satisfy itself with things that are only relatively permanent, so impermanence is not automatically a sign that a particular happiness is not worth the effort. But if you focus on the unreliability of a particular happiness, it’s easier to develop dispassion for it."
          http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/Discernment_v130716.pdf
          From: Discernment: The Buddha's Strategies for Happiness part II
          A study guide prepared by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
          For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

          With metta / Antony.

          To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com