Re: Eating Many Cups of Soup (+ Optimism group!)

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hi Tep,

      I have about thirty groups. Most of them have less than five members, but they are good places to store my material and if I ever get a girlfriend I'll be able to impress her with what I have made ;)

      I was going to create another group called Hope then remembered my Optimism group I created in 2007 (only one other member who is bouncing so I am posting to myself!):
      The cup of soup isn't half empty it's half full ;)

      With metta / Antony.

      To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
      From: indriyabala@...
      Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:17:25 +0000
      Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Eating Many Cups of Soup

      Hi Antony, -

      I wrote this poem just for you. :)

      Interesting! Interesting!
      -------------------------------
      Look at those groups Antony is daily originating!
      How may has he collected under his wings?
      What is his purpose for those many things?
      How can he handle all those groups?
      It is like eating too many cups of soup!!

      Tep
      ===
      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > This new group is to collect inspiring teachings on the topic of decisions or wise actions in everyday life.

    • Tep Sastri
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013

        Hi Antony, -

        First of all, allow to correct a typo.

        <Old>
        Look at those groups Antony is daily originating!
        How may has he collected under his wings?
        What is his purpose for those many things?
        How can he handle all those groups?
        It is like eating too many cups of soup!!

        <Corrected>
        Look at those groups Antony is daily originating!
        How MANY has he collected under his wings?
        What is his purpose for those many things?
        How can he handle all those groups?
        It is like eating too many cups of soup!!

        > Antony: I have about thirty groups. Most of them have less than five members, but they are good places to store my material and if I ever get a girlfriend I'll be able to impress her with what I have made ;)

         I was going to create another group called Hope then remembered my Optimism group I created in 2007 (only one other member who is bouncing so I am posting to myself!):
         The cup of soup isn't half empty it's half full ;)
        ---------

        Very humble worldly aspiration, indeed! <Just to impress a future girlfriend!>
        When the cup is filled up, how many groups will you own? Why not build only a few groups that cover several areas of your interest evenly?  Ignore my suggestion if you disagree. It's none of my business anyway. :)

        Tep
        ===

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Tep,

          I haven't found much overlap between my groups e.g. my GratitudeInspiration group and my dukkha group (which has anicca-change and Perception-of-Not-Self as its sister groups.) I don't think there are any other groups that should be amalgamated.

          I create groups not to show off my knowledge but to collect inspiring teachings on topics I am struggling with in my own life. My Wise-Decisions group is an attempt to find wise use of my time.
          I admit that I have made my membership settings to receive an e-mail everytime I get a new member, but lately I have benefited alot from my dukkha group which has only two members.

          I find it easy to handle the groups. The first 25 groups in alphabetical order come up on this link:
          The other day I tried making a list with pen and paper without looking. I only forgot two groups (including Long-Term-Perspective)

          Thanks for your interest.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
            Hi Tep,

            At the very least starting new groups keeps me busy with Dhamma work. One of my teachers agreed with me that the merit is the same as if I got a thousand members as it is the same amount of work to create. And getting lots of members comes under fame in the Eight Worldly dhammas. See my 8WorldlyConcerns group! ;)

            With metta / Antony.

          • Tep Sastri
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
              Hi Antony, -

              I don't know about merits from setting up discussion groups : why does a larger number of groups (say, 20 groups of 3 members) give more merit than a single group consisting of larger gathering of members (say, 60)?

              Too much engagement in many activities, many readings, many topics is a cause of restlessness, one of the hindrances.
              Even analyzing or "exploring" one's progress during a meditation practice can lead to too much thinking --it is not mindful noticing of an arising and dissolving phenomenon (e.g. feeling, perception and a mind object) without greed & distress in the present moment.

              Direct thought (vitakka) is different. Vitakka of the first jhaana is the enemy
              of drowsiness.
              Once the mind becomes one-pointed (ekaggata), restlessness disappears. Jhaana arises!

              Yours truly,
              Tep
              ===