Christopher Gerner on compassion

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013
      "When we experience misfortune, we're likely to feel we're the only person in the world who's suffering like that. We also tend to feel shame about our misfortune, as if we alone were responsible for it. Shame isolates. When our intense emotions subside and we see the situation from a wider angle, we're likely to discover that everything happens as a result of a universe of causes rather than exclusively due to 'me' and 'my mistake.' All events are flowing and interconnected, at least to a small extent. Our experience is shared by others. That realization of common humanity brings relief from feeling alone and isolated."

      ~ Christopher Gerner, PhD, "The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion," The Guildford Press, 2009