Mudita by Natasha Jackson (short extract + comment)

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
      "To regard mudita as being relevant only on certain relatively rare occasions when our friends and acquaintances come into a bonanza of some kind, is to fragment it and render it trivial, thereby missing the essential matrix. It should not be regarded as a matter of turning on a tap from which mudita will gush forth. There should be, in a certain sense, a quiet stream of sympathy and understanding flowing within the individual all the time."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/various/wheel170.html
      From: Unselfish Joy: A Neglected Virtue
      by Natasha Jackson
      From Metta, The Journal of the Buddhist Federation of Australia, Vol. 12, No. 2.
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

      Antony: So mudita is not a mere feeling-response to happiness arising "out of the blue" in a brand-new present moment, but is the proactive determination and promise to oneself to, from this moment now on into the future, maintain fortunate relationships and routines as a work in progress.