Re: Maitreya "loving-kindness" next Buddha

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
      Hi Antony, -

      >Antony:  In Piyadassi Thera's translation of the Karaniya Metta Sutta the Buddha says: "He who is skilled in (working out his own) well being, and who wishes to attain that state of Calm (Nibbana) should act thus "http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/khp/khp.1-9x.piya.html
      > I'll definitely be more enthusiastic now about practicing metta!

      Following the link you provided I have found the full passage:

      "The discourse gets divided into two parts. The first detailing the standard of moral conduct required by one who wishes to attain Purity and Peace, and the second the method of practice of metta.

      1. "He who is skilled in (working out his own) well being, and who wishes to attain that state of Calm (Nibbana) should act thus: he should be dexterous, upright, exceedingly upright, obedient, gentle, and humble.

      2. "Contented, easily supportable, with but few responsibilities, of simple livelihood, controlled in the senses, prudent, courteous, and not hanker after association with families.

      3. "Let him not perform the slightest wrong for which wise men may rebuke him. (Let him think:) 'May all beings be happy and safe. May they have happy minds.'

      4. & 5. "Whatever living beings there may be --feeble or strong (or the seekers and the attained) long, stout, or of medium size, short, small, large, those seen or those unseen, those dwelling far or near, those who are born as well as those yet to be born-- may all beings have happy minds.

      6. "Let him not deceive another nor despise anyone anywhere. In anger or ill will let him not wish another ill.

      7. "Just as a mother would protect her only child with her life even so let one cultivate a boundless love towards all beings.

      8. "Let him radiate boundless love towards the entire world --above, below, and across-- unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.

      9. "Standing, walking, sitting or reclining, as long as he is awake, let him develop this mindfulness. This, they say, is 'Noble Living' here.

      10. "Not falling into wrong views --being virtuous, endowed with insight, lust in the senses discarded-- verily never again will he return to conceive in a womb."

      Items #1 and #2 are about virtues. The next items #3 - #8 are concerned with metta and unbound love towards other beings. The last two items are about developing mindfulness, six-sense restraints, right views and insights (Panna).  Metta alone, when perfected such that there is no more anger, leads to Anagami. Right views and insights based on mindfulness lead further to Arahantship. That's what I think is the Sutta message.

      Tep
      ===