Re: Practices for From Now On Into the Future

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      Dear Antony, -
      Kindly allow me to respond to Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu on equanimity.
      "Don't focus on the other person; focus on the action in and of itself,
      as part of a causal process, and then turn around and look at yourself.
      If, in your mind, you create other people out there, you create a lot of
      problems. But if you simply see life in the community as an opportunity
      to watch the principle of cause and effect as it plays itself out, the
      problems vanish."
      Such non-participating & mental-guarding practice is effective
      internally for letting go of attachment so that he is not assailed by
      longing (abhijjha) and depression(domanassa). But I doubt if the
      external community problems would vanish.
      Tep===
      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" wrote:

      > Metta practice is not just pumping up the present moment with thoughts
      of loving-kindness - which takes a lot of faith to believe that one's
      practice is affecting others - but rather is making and re-making
      promises to oneself never to entertain thoughts of self-hatred or hatred
      for others from now on into the future. This may involve working with
      hatred in the present moment, although hatred is usually associated with
      wandering thoughts lost in the past and future, completely momentarily
      forgetting where one is and that one is practicing with the freedom of
      choice to switch away from the difficult person to a benefactor who has
      made an abundant offering directed at one's own life, the reflection on
      which often spreads to remembering the abundant offerings of many people
      including oneself.

      > Compassion practice is making promises to oneself never to add to the
      suffering of the chosen person from now on into the future, or as in my
      rainbow parrot emotional healing idea (post #4825), to go with
      opportunities to comfort the living beings one encounters reflecting
      that they are at least distant relatives of the chosen person from the
      compassion practice.

      > Mudita practice is making promises to oneself never to minimize the
      joy of others. If someone is experiencing worldly success then one can
      focus on the skillful behavior that is associated with it, rather than
      wishing it for oneself without having to do any practice.

      > Equanimity practice is, as Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote "...something to
      think about as you go through the day and you see someone else doing
      something that gets you upset or something that offends you. Don't focus