Re: How Much of Life is About Yourself?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
      "The Buddha's vision is this: Even our sense of self is the result of action. It's a strategy for happiness. Every time we act on a craving, we create at least two selves: the sense of self that identifies with whatever powers we can muster to satisfy that craving, and the self that identifies with the act of consuming the pleasures and gratifications we hope to achieve. Having created these producing and consuming selves, we then forget that they're creations — and that they're multiple. We assume that our self is unitary, a primal "given" in our life, and we wonder what it's for. Is life simply for the pursuit of pleasure and gratification of this self? If so, it's a miserable life, for this self doesn't last very long. So we start looking for a larger meaning to the whole enterprise, and most religions and philosophies are designed to answer that question of meaning.

      But instead of trying to answer that question, the Buddha decided to take it apart at the root. What happens if, instead of continuing to produce a sense of self, you learn how to stop? That's the purpose of the teaching on not-self: learning how to uproot attachment to the process of producing a self. And the Buddha found, as a result, that when the mind stops fabricating a self, everything opens to a happiness totally independent of conditions — the one happiness that doesn't depend on actions, doesn't have a price, one so total that no questions have to be asked."
      http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Uncollected/MiscEssays/The%20Karma%20of%20Happiness.pdf
      From: The Karma of Happiness: A Buddhist Monk Looks at Positive Psychology by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      Also see: "Strategies for Happiness" by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations3.html#strategies

      With metta / Antony.