Re: Simplest Definitions

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
      Hi Antony, -

      Allow me to add the following to you list of Metta definition.

      Acharya Buddharakkhita: "The Pali word metta is a multi-significant term meaning loving-kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, amity, concord, inoffensiveness and non-violence. The Pali commentators define metta as the strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others (parahita-parasukha-kamana). Essentially metta is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html

      Thanissaro Bhikkhu: " ... metta is not necessarily an attitude of lovingkindness. It’s more an attitude of goodwill --wishing the other person well, but realizing that true happiness is something that each of us ultimately will have to find for him or herself, and sometimes most easily when we go our separate ways.
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/metta_means_goodwill.pdf

      Be well & happy,
      Tep
      ===