Simplest Definitions

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
      "The definition of love in Buddhism is: wanting others to be happy.
      The opposite is wanting others to be unhappy: anger, hatred.

      The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from suffering.
      The opposite is wanting others to suffer, or cruelty."
      http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimity_rejoicing.html

      With metta / Antony.
    • Tep Sastri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
        Hi Antony, -

        Allow me to add the following to you list of Metta definition.

        Acharya Buddharakkhita: "The Pali word metta is a multi-significant term meaning loving-kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, amity, concord, inoffensiveness and non-violence. The Pali commentators define metta as the strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others (parahita-parasukha-kamana). Essentially metta is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest."
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html

        Thanissaro Bhikkhu: " ... metta is not necessarily an attitude of lovingkindness. It’s more an attitude of goodwill --wishing the other person well, but realizing that true happiness is something that each of us ultimately will have to find for him or herself, and sometimes most easily when we go our separate ways.
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/metta_means_goodwill.pdf

        Be well & happy,
        Tep
        ===