Research on topic of online "lurkers" (was re: Cross-questioning)

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hi Tep,

      (Thanks for your participation and feedback on Buddhaviharas. I hope you have benefitted from my participation and feedback on your SariputtaDhamma group.)

      I found this Wikipedia article on the topic of online "lurkers":
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

      Lurkers often benefit from using search engines rather than manually formulating and asking original questions. This would apply less to the topics of goodwill and compassion than to general knowledge trivia questions.

      Yahoo Groups peaked in 2002 and new members are probably shy when they see that only the moderators are posting.

      Another reason given for lurking is not knowing anything about the topic (which I'm confident isn't the case here as the Divine Abidings are very Interfaith) and not wanting to waste people's time (their own or other people's). I am a lurker on a Nuclear Fusion physics forum (I haven't even dared to become a member) so as not to disrupt vital Nuclear Fusion research.
      http://www.talk-polywell.org/bb/index.php

      I hope to hear from lurkers on Buddhaviharas. I am more of a librarian than a teacher but I do have a lot of spare time to research questions. You can even write me offlist.

      With metta / Antony.

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <tepsastri@...> wrote:

      > Hi all -
      <snip> And when they have mastered that Dhamma, they cross-question one another about it and dissect it: 'How is this? What is the meaning of this?' They make open what isn't open, make plain what isn't plain, dispel doubt on its various doubtful points. This is called an assembly trained in cross-questioning<snip>"
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.046.than.html
      >
      > But only very few members of many Buddhist groups have benefited from cross-questioning, in my sincere opinion (IMSO). Do you know why?
      >
      > Tep
      > ===

    • Tep Sastri
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
        Hi Antony, -

        I appreciate the answer you kindly gave me. Someone else may be annoyed when I ask.

        I think you are right to say that most members of many online groups (Buddhism and others) are lurking or, shall I say, non-participating in discussion of anything serious (i.e. things that demand careful study and analysis).

        I agree with you also that "new members are probably shy when they see that only the moderators are posting"; I consider myself a new member too.

        >Antony: "I am more of a librarian than a teacher but I do have a lot of spare time to research questions. You can even write me offlist."

        T: You are one of my few Dhamma friends who have shown superb understanding of what-the-Buddhas-taught. Keep on utilizing your "spare time" to research more, and meditate more; in my humble and sincere opinion (IMHASO) you seem to have a good chance to become a Stream-enterer in this life.

        Thank you for allowing me to write offlist; someday I probably will.

        Be well & happy,

        Tep
        ===

        > Hi Tep,
        >
        > (Thanks for your participation and feedback on Buddhaviharas. I hope you have benefitted from my participation and feedback on your SariputtaDhamma group.)
        >
        > I found this Wikipedia article on the topic of online "lurkers":
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker
        >
        > Lurkers often benefit from using search engines rather than manually formulating and asking original questions. This would apply less to the topics of goodwill and compassion than to general knowledge trivia questions.
        >
        > Yahoo Groups peaked in 2002 and new members are probably shy when they see that only the moderators are posting.
        >
        > Another reason given for lurking is not knowing anything about the topic (which I'm confident isn't the case here as the Divine Abidings are very Interfaith) and not wanting to waste people's time (their own or other people's). I am a lurker on a Nuclear Fusion physics forum (I haven't even dared to become a member) so as not to disrupt vital Nuclear Fusion research.
        > http://www.talk-polywell.org/bb/index.php
        >
        > I hope to hear from lurkers on Buddhaviharas. I am more of a librarian than a teacher but I do have a lot of spare time to research questions. You can even write me offlist.
        >
        > With metta / Antony.
        >
        > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <tepsastri@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all -
        > <snip> And when they have mastered that Dhamma, they cross-question one another about it and dissect it: 'How is this? What is the meaning of this?' They make open what isn't open, make plain what isn't plain, dispel doubt on its various doubtful points. This is called an assembly trained in cross-questioning<snip>"
        > > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.046.than.html
        > >
        > > But only very few members of many Buddhist groups have benefited from cross-questioning, in my sincere opinion (IMSO). Do you know why?
        > >
        > > Tep
        > > ===

      • Li Hoon Tay
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
          Hello all,
          I am one of the guilty one. I really appreciate the post through the email. Sometime I feel like giving some comments but I am afraid that my opinion may not be appropriate. I had limited knowledge about suttas. If I were to comment or share, most will be based on my own experiences. Just feel shy to do this.
          with Metta,

          lihoon

          To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
          From: tepsastri@...
          Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:53:16 +0000
          Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Re: Research on topic of online "lurkers" (was re: Cross-questioning)

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
            Hi Tep, Lihoon,

            Ven Pannyavaro, webmaster of BuddhaNet wrote:
            "The temple approach in teaching the Dharma is through sermons with the teacher and the content being unchallenged. The new way is through group learning via discussion. On the Net its through chat groups where the teacher or moderator acts as a facilitator for an ongoing debate or discussion.

            The benefit of Internet learning is that you have access to information, and you also have access to other people, students or experts. It's the combination of the two that provides an extra dimension than most other technologies. In fact what is happening now is that students are looking for resources themselves and then interacting with them."
            http://www.buddhanet.net/gds-speech.htm
            From: E-Learning Buddhism on the InterNet by Ven Pannyavaro

            Antony: The Buddha was a public speaker, able to project his voice to thousands of monks (and they didn't have microphones). Personally I am not headed for sainthood anytime soon, but the task is an urgent one!

> [...]

            > > I hope to hear from lurkers on Buddhaviharas. I am more of a librarian than a teacher but I do have a lot of spare time to research questions. You can even write me offlist.
            > >
            > > With metta / Antony.
            > >
            > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <tepsastri@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all -
            > > <snip> And when they have mastered that Dhamma, they cross-question one another about it and dissect it: 'How is this? What is the meaning of this?' They make open what isn't open, make plain what isn't plain, dispel doubt on its various doubtful points. This is called an assembly trained in cross-questioning<snip>"
            > > > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.046.than.html
            > > >
            > > > But only very few members of many Buddhist groups have benefited from cross-questioning, in my sincere opinion (IMSO). Do you know why?

          • Tep Sastri
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
              Hi Lihoon (Antony, others) -

              To comment on or discuss the Dhamma from our own perspective is good. Indeed when we reflect on an experience, the Dhamma is seen. Other people can also benefit from the discussion.

              Be happy,

              Tep
              ===