Ayya Khema on metta

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2012
      "Metta is to be extended towards all beings and all manifestations,
      yet most of our difficulties lie with people. It is much easier to
      love birds, dogs, cats and trees than it is to love people. Trees
      and animals don't answer back, but people do, so this is where our
      training commences . . . Sometimes people find they don't feel
      anything while practicing metta meditation. That is nothing to worry
      about; thoughts aimed often enough in the right direction eventually
      produce the feelings . . .

      "In our daily activities all of us are confronted with other people
      and often with those whom we would rather avoid. These are our
      challenges, lessons and tests. If we consider them in that manner we
      won't be so irritated by these experiences . . . When we realize that
      such a confrontation is exactly what we need at that moment in order
      to overcome resistance and negativity and substitute metta for those
      emotions, then we will be grateful for the opportunity."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "When the Iron Eagle Flies"
      as quoted in "Everyday Mind", Riverhead Books, 1997

      May this be of benefit.
    • sharon werner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26 4:55 AM
        Metta (loving friendliness)

        "If we really want to know what love is all about, we need to
        recognize that love is not dependent upon another person being
        lovable. If we want to find somebody who is totally and utterly
        lovable, we have to find an arahant, an enlightened person. And since
        we ourselves are not enlightened, we wouldn't recognize such a
        person. We can only recognize what we know about ourselves. That's
        all. When somebody comes into the room who is quite angry -- doesn't
        say anything, is just angry -- we recognize that immediately because
        we've been angry ourselves. But if somebody comes into the room,
        doesn't say anything (or might even say something), and is fully
        enlightened, we wouldn't have a clue. How would we know? They don't
        wear badges; they don't have any halos or anything. So a fully and
        totally lovable person is not really within our realm. Are we
        ourselves totally and completely lovable? So, to look for that is a
        lost cause, and also it makes life very difficult because we're
        looking for something outside of ourselves before we are willing to
        extend love."

        ~ Ven. Ayya Khema, "Metta," a talk given in Santa Fe, New Mexico,
        April, 1992, transcribed by Brian Kelley and edited by Leigh
        Brasington