Pema Chodron on compassion

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2012
      "When we hear about compassion, it naturally brings up working with
      others, caring for others. The reason we're often not there for
      others - whether for our child or our mother or someone who is
      insulting us or frightening us - is that we're not there for
      ourselves. There are whole parts of ourselves that are so unwanted
      that whenever they begin to come up we run away . . .

      "Only to the degree that we've gotten to know our own personal pain,
      only to the degree that we've related with pain at all, will we be
      brave enough, fearless enough, enough of a warrior to be willing to
      feel the pain of others. To that degree we will be able to take on
      the pain of others because we will have discovered that their pain
      and our own pain are not different."

      - Pema Chodron, "Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate
      Living," Shambhala Publications, 1994.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 21, 2014

        Weekly Wisdom