Re: The Buddha on equanimity

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 3:39 AM
      "Another one of the sex perfections that we need to practice for a precious human life is being patient; in other words not getting angry when we're suffering or other people harm us.

      Somebody blames you for something you didn't do. Are you patient or calm or do you get angry? Come on, be honest! Angry! Right away! We don't waste one second! We don't even think "Oh should I become angry or shouldn't I?" Right away, boom! We get angry and we tell that person off because they criticized us. Being calm and not retaliating when we're harmed is difficult. Working with our anger isn't easy."
      From: Precious Human Life by Ven Thubten Chodron (broken link)

      > Thanks Sharon. I like the word "reply", which I've normally associated with e-mail but I'm going to apply it to wise speech, listening to what was said (and "reading" body language), taking a moment to "draft" a reply then uttering or "publishing" my reply.
      >
      > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "sharon werner" <sharonwerner@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "When people speak badly of you, you should respond in this way: Keep
      > > a steady heart and don't reply with harsh words. Practice letting go
      > > of resentment and accepting that the other's hostility is the spur to
      > > your understanding. Be kind, adopt a generous standpoint, treat your
      > > enemy as a friend, and suffuse all your world with affectionate
      > > thoughts, far-reaching and widespread, limitless and free from hate.
      > > In this state you should try to remain."
      > >
      > > ~ The Buddha, from the Dhammapada
      > > From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000. Reprinted by
      > > arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com.
      > >
      > > AND
      > >
      > > "Never speak harsh words for they will rebound upon you. Angry words hurt And the hurt rebounds."
      > >
      > > - Dhammapada
      > >

      > > May this be of benefit.

    • sharon werner
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
        This continues to be my favorite quote on equanimity, straight from the heart of the Dhammapada.

        "This, O Atula, has been going
        on through the ages.
        They criticize the silent ones.
        They criticize the talkative ones.