AN1:6.3-5 Loving kindness

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
      "Monks, if for just the time of a finger-snap a monk produces a thought of loving kindness, develops it, gives attention to it, such a one is rightly called a monk. Not in vain does he meditate. He acts in accordance with the Master's teaching, he follows his advice, and eats deservingly the country's alms-food. [4] How much more so if he cultivates it!"
      http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3
      From: Anguttara Nikaya
      Discourses of the Buddha
      An Anthology
      Part I
      Selected and translated from the Pali
      by
      Nyanaponika Thera
      and
      Bhikkhu Bodhi
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from the Buddhist Publication Society, Sri Lanka.

      With metta / Antony.
    • sharon werner
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
        Antony, this is one of my favorites.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
          From: Anguttara Nikaya
          Discourses of the Buddha
          An Anthology
          Part I
          Selected and translated from the Pali
          by
          Nyanaponika Thera
          and
          Bhikkhu Bodhi
          For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from the Buddhist Publication Society, Sri Lanka.

          With metta / Antony.
        • Tep Sastri
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
            Hi all -

            Thanks to my studious, devoted-to-study friend Antony,  I found a delightful passage from Antony's reference:

             â€œIf they ask: 'And what, friends, is the cause and reason for the non-arising of unarisen hatred, and for the abandoning of arisen hatred?'   you should reply:
            'The liberation of the mind by loving kindness: for one who attends properly to the liberation of the mind by loving kindness, unarisen hatred will not arise and arisen hatred will be abandoned.' (3:68)
             http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3

            Questions for Anyone:   What is the liberation of the mind by loving kindness, and how can it be developed?

            Tep
            ===

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
              Hi Tep, all,

              > > "Monks, if for just the time of a finger-snap a monk produces a
              > thought of loving kindness, develops it, gives attention to it, such a
              > one is rightly called a monk. Not in vain does he meditate. He acts in
              > accordance with the Master's teaching, he follows his advice, and eats
              > deservingly the country's alms-food. [4] How much more so if he
              > cultivates it!"
              > > http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3

              Antony: I just checked the new translation of the Anguttara Nikaya page 125 and it seems that it is the "liberation of the mind by loving-kindness" for the time of a finger-snap "not devoid of jhana". So it is not a simple metta phrase!

              With metta / Antony.

              --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <indriyabala@...> wrote:

              > Hi all -
              > Thanks to my studious, devoted-to-study friend Antony, I found a
              > delightful passage from Antony's reference:
              > “If they ask: 'And what, friends, is the cause and reason for
              > the non-arising of unarisen hatred, and for the abandoning of arisen
              > hatred?' you should reply: 'The liberation of the mind by loving
              > kindness: for one who attends properly to the liberation of the mind by
              > loving kindness, unarisen hatred will not arise and arisen hatred will
              > be abandoned.' (3:68) http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3
              > Questions for Anyone: What is the liberation of the mind by loving
              > kindness, and how can it be developed?
              > Tep===--- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2"
              > <antony272b@> wrote:
              > >
              > > "Monks, if for just the time of a finger-snap a monk produces a
              > thought of loving kindness, develops it, gives attention to it, such a
              > one is rightly called a monk. Not in vain does he meditate. He acts in
              > accordance with the Master's teaching, he follows his advice, and eats
              > deservingly the country's alms-food. [4] How much more so if he
              > cultivates it!"
              > > http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3
              > > From: Anguttara Nikaya
              > > Discourses of the Buddha
              > > An Anthology
              > > Part I
              > > Selected and translated from the Pali
              > > by
              > > Nyanaponika Thera
              > > and
              > > Bhikkhu Bodhi
              > > For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from the Buddhist
              > Publication Society, Sri Lanka.
              > >
              > > With metta / Antony.

            • Tep Sastri
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                Hi Antony, -

                >A: Antony: I just checked the new translation of the Anguttara Nikaya page 125 and
                it seems that it is the "liberation of the mind by loving-kindness" for the time
                of a finger-snap "not devoid of jhana". So it is not a simple metta phrase!

                T: So you say there are a simple metta and another kind that relates to "liberation of the mind". Which of the two kinds of metta would you recommend?

                Tep
                ===

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                  Hi Tep,

                  I thought it was obvious that metta-jhana is superior to a simple metta phrase. Then I remembered this Ajahn Sumedho teaching "Only One Breath" which is about breath meditation but I think the same principle can apply to one metta phrase at a time:

                  "This morning I was talking to Venerable Subbato and he was saying he never has developed anapanasati, mindfulness of the breath. So I said, 'Can you be mindful of one inhalation?' And he said, 'Oh yes.' 'And of one exhalation?' And he said, 'Yes.' And I said, 'Got it!'

                  There's nothing more to it than that. However, one tends to expect to develop some special kind of ability to go into some special state. And because we don't do that, then we think we can't do it.

                  But the way of the spiritual life is through renunciation, relinquishment, letting go not through attaining or acquiring. Even the jhanas* are relinquishments rather than attainments. If we relinquish more and more, letting go more and more, then the jhanic states are natural.

                  (*jhanas: these are refined states of mind-consciousness experienced through meditative absorption.)
                  http://www.amaravati.org/documents/the_way_it_is/13oob.html
                  From: Only One Breath by Ajahn Sumedho

                  With metta / Antony.

                  --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <indriyabala@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Antony, -
                  >
                  > >A: Antony: I just checked the new translation of the Anguttara Nikaya page 125 and
                  > it seems that it is the "liberation of the mind by loving-kindness" for the time
                  > of a finger-snap "not devoid of jhana". So it is not a simple metta phrase!
                  >
                  > T: So you say there are a simple metta and another kind that relates to "liberation of the mind". Which of the two kinds of metta would you recommend?
                  >
                  > Tep
                  > ===
                  > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" <antony272b@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Tep, all,

                  > > > thought of loving kindness, develops it, gives attention to it, such a
                  > > > one is rightly called a monk. Not in vain does he meditate. He acts in
                  > > > accordance with the Master's teaching, he follows his advice, and eats
                  > > > deservingly the country's alms-food. [4] How much more so if he
                  > > > cultivates it!"
                  > >
                  > > Antony: I just checked the new translation of the Anguttara Nikaya page 125 and it seems that it is the "liberation of the mind by loving-kindness" for the time of a finger-snap "not devoid of jhana". So it is not a simple metta phrase!
                  > >
                  > > With metta / Antony.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <indriyabala@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi all -
                  > > > Thanks to my studious, devoted-to-study friend Antony, I found a
                  > > > delightful passage from Antony's reference:
                  > > > “If they ask: 'And what, friends, is the cause and reason for
                  > > > the non-arising of unarisen hatred, and for the abandoning of arisen
                  > > > hatred?' you should reply: 'The liberation of the mind by loving
                  > > > kindness: for one who attends properly to the liberation of the mind by
                  > > > loving kindness, unarisen hatred will not arise and arisen hatred will
                  > > > be abandoned.' (3:68) http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html#S3
                  > > > Questions for Anyone: What is the liberation of the mind by loving
                  > > > kindness, and how can it be developed?
                  > > > Tep===--- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2"

                  > > > thought of loving kindness, develops it, gives attention to it, such a
                  > > > one is rightly called a monk. Not in vain does he meditate. He acts in
                  > > > accordance with the Master's teaching, he follows his advice, and eats
                  > > > deservingly the country's alms-food. [4] How much more so if he
                  > > > cultivates it!"
                  > > > Publication Society, Sri Lanka.

                • Tep Sastri
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
                    Hi Antony, -

                    The only-one-breath mindfulness  still takes too much time!

                    469. If he develops mindfulness of in and out breathing, for the fraction of a second, it is said he abides in jhana. Has done his duties by the Teacher, and eats the country's alms food without a debt. If he makes much of that, it would be more gainful.

                    [Ekadhammapali Sutta at metta.lk/tipitaka/]

                    Tep
                    ===