Pema Chodron on unconditional joy and maitri/metta/loving kindness

  • sharon werner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      "Curiously enough, this journey of transmutation is one of tremendous joy. We usually seek joy in the wrong places, by trying to avoid feeling whole parts of the human condition. We seek happiness by believing that whole parts of what it is to be human are unacceptable. We feel that something has to change in ourselves. However, unconditional joy comes about through some kind of intelligence in which we allow ourselves to see clearly what we do with great honesty, combined with a tremendous kindness and gentleness. This combination of honesty, or clear-seeing, and kindness is the essence of maitriĀ—unconditional friendship with ourselves."

      ~ Pema Chodron, To Know Yourself is to Forget Yourself, Shambhala Sun, September 1998, as excerpted at:

      http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2287

      (The entire article is worth a read.)