Re: Actions of Mindfully Remembering

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
      After posting last night I did some walking meditation. I realized that my practice was guided not by the current account balance of knowledge at the moment of the start of the session, but lots of memories of meditation teachers saying "Watch your breath" etc. from different times in the past were guiding me. The session wasn't limited to the clock but was alive with influences from infinity.

      With metta / Antony.

      To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
      From: antony272b@...
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:27:05 +0000
      Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Actions of Mindfully Remembering

      New Year's Eve, counting down the hours, minutes and seconds to the New Year, always gives me a sense of impermanence, that time is finite, and I become aware of my procrastination, especially remembering my meditation practice. Impermanence can often be a good thing, which is why New Year's Eve is a celebration, and Thich Nhat Hanh points out that Suffering doesn't necessarily follow from Impermanence. Thanissaro Bhikkhu, in "All About Change" points out that impermanence is actually a mistranslation of the Pali word anicca (pronounced arnitcha). Anicca means inconstancy, like trying to relax sitting on a dodgy chair, so dukkha (suffering) does follow anicca.

      So my procrastination on what meditation technique to practice for an hour is actually beside the point. In scheduling time for meditation I don't have to imagine "existing" for an hour (saying "I just exist" is a complaint), but instead focus on actions that will solve the long-term problem of dukkha, like mindfully remembering to return to the breath or to phrases like "May I be happy, May all beings be happy."

      Happy New Year everyone!

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section: