Lovingkindness (Metta)

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2003
      "For a true spiritual transformation to flourish, we must see beyond
      [the] tendency to mental self-flagellation. Spiritually based on self-
      hatred becomes martyrdom. Morality born of self-hatred becomes rigid
      repression. Love for others without the foundation of love for
      ourselves becomes a loss of boundaries, co-dependency, and a painful
      and fruitless search for intimacy. But when we contact, through
      meditation, our true nature, we can allow others to also find theirs."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
      Happiness," Shambhala Publications, 1995

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27 4:11 AM
        "The whole world we travel with our thoughts,
        Finding nowhere anyone as precious as one's own self.
        Since each and every person is so precious to themselves
        Let the self-respecting harm no other being."

        -Samyutta Nikaya
        From "The Pocket Zen Reader," edited by Thomas Cleary, 1999.
        Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2003
          "[A] very important aspect of loving kindness is learning to see the
          positive elements in us, to see the goodness in us, to see the Buddha
          nature in us. One way of being our own enemy is seeing only our
          mistakes, seeing only the negative things, only giving minuses to
          ourselves. So it is extremely important to learn to see the positive
          elements in us, it is very important to learn to give pluses to
          ourselves, learning to see our goodness, learning to see our Buddha
          nature in us. And when we learn to do this, what happens is we see
          the positive elements in others, we learn to give more and more
          pluses to others, we see more and more the Buddha nature in others
          and then you come to a stage where you won't see a difference between
          yourself and others."

          ~ From The Gentle Way of Buddhist Meditation
          Dhamma Talks by Godwin Samararatne
          http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/godwin/gw_t5.htm

          May this be of benefit
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2004
            "The longing for love and the movement of love is underneath all of
            our activities. The happiness we discover in life is not about
            possessing or owning or even understanding. Instead, it is the
            discovery of this capacity to love, to have a loving, free, and wise
            relationship with all of life. Such love is not possessive but arises
            out of a sense of our own well-being and connection with everything.
            Therefore, it is generous and wakeful, and it loves the freedom of
            all things. Out of love, our path can lead us to learn to use our
            gifts to heal and serve, to create peace around us, to honor the
            sacred in life, to bless whatever we encounter, and to wish all
            beings well."

            ~ Jack Kornfield, "A Path With Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and
            Promises of Spiritual Life," Bantam Books, 1993.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2004
              "[A] very important aspect of loving kindness is learning to use
              loving kindness to relate to unpleasant situations, unpleasant
              emotions when they are there. When we have unpleasant emotions, when
              we have physical pain, mental pain, we don't like them, we hate them,
              we dislike them, we resist them. In a way by doing that we give them
              more power, more energy. In such situations, we can use meditation on
              loving kindness by learning to make friends with these unpleasant
              situations. One very simple way of making friends with them is by
              learning to say to yourself: it is OK not to be OK (i.e. say OK to
              unpleasant situation)."

              From The Gentle Way of Buddhist Meditation
              Dhamma Talks by Godwin Samararatne

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
                "When you come from the heart, you can feel for yourself, you can be
                at peace with yourself, you can be caring to yourself. When I come
                from the heart, I can appreciate other peoples' hearts as well. That
                is how we can love our enemies, when we appreciate their hearts,
                seeing something there to love, to respect."

                ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso, "On Making a Mistake"
                Source: Forest Sangha Newsletter, January 1997/2540, Number 39, UK
                http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~crr/newsletter/

                May this be of benefit
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
                  "Just like intelligence is a quality of the mind, so love is a
                  quality of the heart. We don't just have intelligence when we have to
                  solve a difficult mathematical equation; we don't just have
                  intelligence when we have to make logical connections; the mind
                  remains intelligent whether we do that or not. It's the same with
                  love. The loving quality of the heart remains with us whether there's
                  anybody in front of us that we can actually extend that love to or
                  not. That quality of the heart needs to be cultivated."

                  Ven. Ayya Khema, "Metta," a talk given in Santa Fe, New Mexico,
                  April, 1992, transcribed by Brian Kelley and edited by Leigh
                  Brasington

                  http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6774/ayyametta.htm

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 8, 2004
                    Lovingkindness (Metta)

                    "When you make another person smile, you do something to make another
                    person feel relief, then suddenly you feel very happy. If you do not
                    have a chance to do something to relieve someone else but you have
                    the will to be able to relieve him or her, already that good will is
                    making you happier. Someone who does not have the energy of love, who
                    do not have any will to love, that person is very lost, very lonely
                    and very unhappy. For them this loneliness is like hell, and they
                    feel lost, miserable. So we have to learn to know that loving is a
                    means to help us to make a link between ourselves and other people
                    and other species around us. And we see that we and they are linked
                    deeply by one thing, and that is life. And when we feel that we are
                    one, linked by that deep ocean of life, then we won't have any desire
                    to punish the other person. If you feel hurt by another person try to
                    look deeply at what is behind her mistake, her shortcoming, his
                    unskillfulness. When we try to understand in that way then we feel
                    free from hurt.

                    "Love is the most beautiful thing in this life. And love helps us to
                    have an open mind and to understand better. Love is the most
                    beautiful gift. Our mindfulness is like a mirror. The mirror reflects
                    our body and our mind. In the early morning when you wake up, you
                    look at the mirror and you see your body, and you smile so that your
                    face looks more relaxed. The most beautiful thing of life is love,
                    and an open mind, large view. Try to be open, to listen and to
                    understand more deeply. Those are the most beautiful things of life:
                    understanding, an open mind, to listen and to understand more deeply.
                    We look at things with an open mind, with attention and with a
                    compassionate view. So I advise you in the early morning when you
                    wake up to look in the mirror and smile. Smile to your face, smile to
                    life. And also learn to love yourself and love people around you with
                    an open mind, with deep listening and deep understanding. So you look
                    at somebody with forgiveness, with inclusiveness, but not in
                    observation and discrimination. Look like a mother looks on her
                    fragile little baby."

                    ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, uncopyrighted transcribed lecture on the Metta
                    Sutta. (If interested these free transcribed lectures can be found
                    at http\\plumvillage.org - follow the links from the homepage.)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 8, 2005

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2005

                        Lovingkindness (Metta)

                        "Having loving kindness is not allowing others to exploit you, not allowing others to do what they like to do. It is very very important to learn that there are times when we have to assert ourselves, when we have to learn to be firm with others. In this connection, I like to relate a story that I like very much and relating on the story I will end my talk.

                        "The story is about a cobra who was practising loving kindness. So there was this cobra in a forest practising loving kindness saying: may all beings be well, may all beings be happy, may all beings be free of suffering. There was an old woman who could not see properly. She was collecting fire wood and she saw the cobra, she thought it was a rope. She used the "rope" to bundle the fire wood she had collected. As the cobra was practising loving kindness, the cobra allowed the old woman to do this. The old woman carried the bundle of fire wood home. Then the cobra escaped with some difficulties, with lots of pain, with lots of wounds in the body. And the cobra went to meet the cobra's master. So the cobra told the master, ‘See what has happened. I adopt your loving kindness. See the wounds, see the pain that I'm experiencing in my body.’ So the master very calmly, gently told the cobra, ‘You have not been practising loving kindness, you have been practising foolish loving kindness. You should have just shown, hissed, that you are a snake, you are a cobra.’ So it is very important that in everyday life we also have to learn what the cobra should learn."

                        ~ The Gentle Way of Buddhist MeditationDhamma Talks by Godwin SamararatneHongkong, 1997

                        This excerpt can be found among others at: www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/godwin/gw_index.htm May this be of benefit.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5, 2005

                          Lovingkindness (Metta)

                          "[One] very important aspect of loving kindness is learning to see the positive elements in us, to see the goodness in us, to see the Buddha nature in us. One way of being our own enemy is seeing only our mistakes, seeing only the negative things, only giving minuses to ourselves. So it is extremely important to learn to see the positive elements in us, it is very important to learn to give pluses to ourselves, learning to see our goodness, learning to see our Buddha nature in us. And when we learn to do this, what happens is we see the positive elements in others, we learn to give more and more pluses to others, we see more and more the Buddha nature in others, and then you come to a stage where you won't see a difference between yourself and others."