Re: What does "all beings" mean to me today?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
      Please ignore the last sentence – I was a bit deluded when I wrote that ;)
      Sending metta to her friends doesn't mean wanting to be friends with her friends. And having one selected close relationship is more important than having many acquaintances.
      +++++
      I've discovered that sending metta to a woman's friends is also a way to overcome the near enemy of metta sexual lust, as I go beyond the image of her body. It is also a way to overcome delusion, the delusion that she can be selected as a unit separable from an otherwise boring world.

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "sharon holmes" <sharonwerner@...> wrote:

      > I think that's a very creative way to work around the enemy issue. I might
      try it myself! ;)

      > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" <antony272b@> wrote:
      > >
      > > When I've been angry with someone I've successfully sent metta through them
      to their friends which is a way of going beyond the image of their face.

      practice), I've started a waking up in the morning practice. I get pen and paper
      and write below the heading:
      > > > "What does "all beings" mean to me this morning?"
      > > > I list groups of which a friend, hero, relative or myself is a member of
      the group. I try to keep it positive and humorous e.g. "people who remember to
      breathe!" I apply Bodhipaksa's advice (Post #2806) of imagining metta flowing
      through all the people I know to all the people they know etc. It takes a lot of
      effort and I'm not very good at it yet but I'm optimistic that this practice
      will help me "wake up" in both the everyday and Buddhist sense of the term.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
        This afternoon I was my own worst difficult person, then had the idea from this June 2011 thread to send metta through myself to my friends, both to go beyond the image of my face and because my friends might be more objective about my better side.
        btw I could use some compassion right now :)

        I think that's a very creative way to work around the enemy issue. I might try it myself! ;)

        > When I've been angry with someone I've successfully sent metta through them to their friends which is a way of going beyond the image of their face.

      • sharon werner
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 15, 2011
          This is an especially lovely use of your orignal idea, Antony. :)

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 16, 2011
            An idea for another strand of this thread:

            To overcome sexual lust (the near enemy of metta) for a beautiful woman, I can send metta to her brothers (not her sisters LOL) I don't have a sister so I've tended to put women on a pedestal.