Re: What does "all beings" mean to me today?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
      I've discovered that sending metta to a woman's friends is also a way to overcome the near enemy of metta sexual lust, as I go beyond the image of her body. It is also a way to overcome delusion, the delusion that she can be selected as a unit separable from an otherwise boring world.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
        Please ignore the last sentence – I was a bit deluded when I wrote that ;)
        Sending metta to her friends doesn't mean wanting to be friends with her friends. And having one selected close relationship is more important than having many acquaintances.
        +++++

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
          This afternoon I was my own worst difficult person, then had the idea from this June 2011 thread to send metta through myself to my friends, both to go beyond the image of my face and because my friends might be more objective about my better side.
          btw I could use some compassion right now :)

          I think that's a very creative way to work around the enemy issue. I might try it myself! ;)

          > When I've been angry with someone I've successfully sent metta through them to their friends which is a way of going beyond the image of their face.

        • sharon werner
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2011
            This is an especially lovely use of your orignal idea, Antony. :)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 16, 2011
              An idea for another strand of this thread:

              To overcome sexual lust (the near enemy of metta) for a beautiful woman, I can send metta to her brothers (not her sisters LOL) I don't have a sister so I've tended to put women on a pedestal.