Noah Levine on equanimity and karma

  • sharon holmes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2011
      "The Buddha addresses karma in his teaching on equanimity. Although the appropriate response to the suffering of the world is compassion, says the Buddha, that response has to be balanced with wisdom. Although we can care for and want to protect each other on a physical and even emotional level, ultimately we can't do anything to take away the internal attachment and identification with craving and aversion that creates suffering in others. In a desired sense of equanimity - balance - we accept that fact: all beings have to do the work for themselves, everyone purifying his or her own karma; we can't do it for anyone else, and no one can do it for us."

      ~ Noah Levine, The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness, HarperOne, 2011