Humor For Working With Rage (Was re: Geri Larkin quote)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2011
      Hi Sharon,

      I remember posting Geri's quote myself last August with comments:

      Earlier before you posted today I noted that my computer rage had spread to "chair rage" (unable to get up to leave the computer) and "pen rage" (even unable to finish the final letters of words on paper). I've realized I should work directly with the rage itself as much more immediate than the object that I can't operate.

      I think that Geri's quote is supposed to be humorous, which is one way of working with rage. What I've found particularly helpful is the Akkosa Sutta (audio version conveys the Buddha's voice inflection):
      http://www.suttareadings.net/audio/index.html#sn07.002
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn07/sn07.002.than.html
      The brahmin Akkosa "the abuser" might have directed rude words at the Buddha just as outrageous as my father does at inanimate objects that don't do what they are supposed to. And the brahmin becomes an arahant at the end of the sutta.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section: