What does "all beings" mean to me today?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2011
      Following Post #4169 (Not forgetting to associate people with the practice), I've started a waking up in the morning practice. I get pen and paper and write below the heading:
      "What does "all beings" mean to me this morning?"
      I list groups of which a friend, hero, relative or myself is a member of the group. I try to keep it positive and humorous e.g. "people who remember to breathe!" I apply Bodhipaksa's advice (Post #2806) of imagining metta flowing through all the people I know to all the people they know etc. It takes a lot of effort and I'm not very good at it yet but I'm optimistic that this practice will help me "wake up" in both the everyday and Buddhist sense of the term.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2011
        I like it. :) What a great way to keep it fresh and creative.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2011
          When I've been angry with someone I've successfully sent metta through them to their friends which is a way of going beyond the image of their face.

          I like it. :) What a great way to keep it fresh and creative.

          > Following Post #4169 (Not forgetting to associate people with the practice), I've started a waking up in the morning practice. I get pen and paper and write below the heading:
          > "What does "all beings" mean to me this morning?"
          > I list groups of which a friend, hero, relative or myself is a member of the group. I try to keep it positive and humorous e.g. "people who remember to breathe!" I apply Bodhipaksa's advice (Post #2806) of imagining metta flowing through all the people I know to all the people they know etc. It takes a lot of effort and I'm not very good at it yet but I'm optimistic that this practice will help me "wake up" in both the everyday and Buddhist sense of the term.
          >
          > With metta / Antony.
          >
          > This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
        • sharon holmes
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2011
            I think that's a very creative way to work around the enemy issue. I might try it myself! ;)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
              I've discovered that sending metta to a woman's friends is also a way to overcome the near enemy of metta sexual lust, as I go beyond the image of her body. It is also a way to overcome delusion, the delusion that she can be selected as a unit separable from an otherwise boring world.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
                Please ignore the last sentence – I was a bit deluded when I wrote that ;)
                Sending metta to her friends doesn't mean wanting to be friends with her friends. And having one selected close relationship is more important than having many acquaintances.
                +++++

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
                  This afternoon I was my own worst difficult person, then had the idea from this June 2011 thread to send metta through myself to my friends, both to go beyond the image of my face and because my friends might be more objective about my better side.
                  btw I could use some compassion right now :)

                  I think that's a very creative way to work around the enemy issue. I might try it myself! ;)

                  > When I've been angry with someone I've successfully sent metta through them to their friends which is a way of going beyond the image of their face.

                • sharon werner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2011
                    This is an especially lovely use of your orignal idea, Antony. :)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 16, 2011
                      An idea for another strand of this thread:

                      To overcome sexual lust (the near enemy of metta) for a beautiful woman, I can send metta to her brothers (not her sisters LOL) I don't have a sister so I've tended to put women on a pedestal.