Ven. Thubten Chodron on compassion

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2011
      "It's just real interesting to reflect on and recognize where in our
      attempt to be happy [unskillfully] we actually create the cause for
      our own unhappiness. And when we can see that real clearly in our own
      life - that we really want to be happy, but because of our own
      ignorance, because of our own self-cherishing [as opposed to
      cherishing other beings as much as ourselves] - we often basically
      just create the cause for more confusion now and in the future.

      "When we can really see that in our own life and make real clear
      examples of it, then we can begin to have compassion for ourselves.
      Because we really do realize that we wish ourselves well, but it's
      because of this mind that's just habituated with self-grasping and
      self-cherishing that we keep on doing counterproductive things. So we
      begin to develop some real genuine compassion for ourselves and
      patience with ourselves. And from that then we can spread that to
      others, and we can realize that other beings, too, want happiness,
      but they're stuck with the same ignorance and self-cherishing that we
      are. They're making more and more difficulties form themselves, too,
      in spite of their wish to be happy. That can evoke a feeling of
      tolerance and compassion for others. And that becomes a . . . deeper
      kind of compassion, of acceptance, of what we are and what others
      are. It's not just painting on some kind of plastic acceptance."

      ~ Ven. Thubten Chodron, Cultivating Bodhicitta through Equalizing and
      Exchanging Self and Others - An Overview. DFF, Seattle. 26 Jul 93,
      www.thubtenchodron.com