Tara Brach on compassion

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
      "Feeling guilty and bad about ourselves for something we've done might
      temporarily restrain us from doing harm, but ultimately blaming and
      hating ourselves only leads to further harmful actions. We can't
      punish ourselves into being a good person. Only by holding ourselves
      with the compassion of forgiveness do we experience our goodness and
      respond to our circumstances with wisdom and care."

      ~ Tara Brach, Ph.D., "Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the
      Heart of a Buddha," Bantam Dell, June 2003

      May this be of benefit.
    • sharon werner
      Message 2 of 14 , May 12, 2013
        "Just as a bright sun causes ice cubes to melt, in the moments when
        we feel connected and kind, we create a warm environment that
        encourages others around us to relax and open up. Each time we widen
        the circle of caring - with a smile, a hug, a listening presence, a
        prayer - the ripples flow out endlessly. When we offer comfort to the
        person sitting by our side, our kindness spreads through the world.
        Whether offered inwardly or to others, the bodhisattva's compassion
        is a gentle rain that touches, without bias, all of life."

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2014
          ". . . as we feel suffering and relate to it with care rather than resistance, we awaken the heart of compassion."

          ~ Tara Brach, Ph.D., "Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha," Bantam Books, 2003.