Blog Entry 2011-06-02

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 3:44 AM
      I've made some progress with focusing on areas where I can make a difference i.e. my intentional actions. I realized that I wouldn't have a clue how to design a human body or even a human mind and heart, so rather than claiming them as me I can put them to use, nudging them in the right direction by for example looking into the bathroom mirror and saying "May you be happy."

      This doesn't mean that I have to re-invent the wheel with every present moment. Mindfulness is often translated as bare attention or non-reactive awareness, but it includes remembering what one did in the past that got good results so one can apply that lesson to what one is doing now.

      My meditation tonight was contemplating my possessions and the world that I call home. I was grieving after slightly damaging my favorite trousers, then I tried to convert householder grief to renunciate grief, that this was an unpleasant feeling the same as if any of my other favorite possessions had a problem.

      Looking into the bathroom mirror has relieved what I call my "no-self psychosis." In meditation I am actively visualizing my lungs filling with air and being mindful of how the mind behind my eyes and the world of my thoughts is in a head much like other people have.

      I now have more of an open mind about the efficacy of pervading metta and the Brahmaviharas realizing that I wouldn't have a clue about the quantum effects of the subatomic particles in my brain. As in my previous post, what I can know is what I am doing and whether or not I am happy.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section: