Looking into the Mirror

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2011
      I had a lot of bad luck today at the shopping mall and walking home had a lot of self-pity, then anger looking into the bathroom mirror. Then I did a circuit of the house walking meditation and arrived at the mirror again. What I came up with was "I'm not being discriminated against!", that the law of action and result is built into the cosmos rather than a reaction to "who I am" or who other people are. That doesn't mean that I am nothing or that kamma is cold and impersonal, just that my true responsibility is to exercise the courage to face this experience of being a subject in an objective situation, rather than losing myself in stories of a world that I am not responsible for (I have been watching less TV news). Metta practice then is an opportunity to work with the most immediate experience of living without relying on an outside power to dull the sense of consciousness and sensitivity which is where freedom lies.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2011
        Antony, I think this is quite profound. It's also a great example of how the brahma viharas circle around and support each other, as in this case where equanimity is supporting metta; and both, in turn, are supported by wisdom.

        Much lovingkindness,

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2011
          "So this is something to think about as you go through the day and you see someone else doing something that gets you upset or something that offends you. Don't focus on the other person; focus on the action in and of itself, as part of a causal process, and then turn around and look at yourself. If, in your mind, you create other people out there, you create a lot of problems. But if you simply see life in the community as an opportunity to watch the principle of cause and effect as it plays itself out, the problems vanish."
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#friendship
          From: Admirable Friendship by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
          For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

          With metta / Antony.