Transmitting Metta by Ashin Janakabhivamsa

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2010
      Developing Metta
      "Keep your mind incessantly occupied with metta
      and you will really develop metta for all.
      In other words metta must be developed
      so that your mind becomes enriched with loving-kindness.

      Transmitting Metta
      When you radiate metta directed to someone
      while concentrating your thoughts on that person and wishing:
      "May so and so be prosperous,"
      your metta will communicate with the person on the receiving end.
      It happens as if your metta has reached that person's mind.
      Therefore when you transmit metta directly to someone,
      people today say you "send metta to someone."

      The Common Mode Of Sending Metta
      Recite (in Pali),
      "Sabbe satta avera hontu,
      Abyapajja hontu,
      Anigha hontu,
      Sukhi attanam pariharantu."
      This means:
      a. May all beings be free from danger.
      b. May all beings be free from domanassa (mental suffering) and have
      peace of mind.
      c. May all beings be free from physical sufferings and be well.
      d. May all beings be prosperous and maintain themselves to live a long
      life.

      Effective Sending Of Metta
      Only when you earnestly wish
      the well-being of someone or some beings
      can we say that metta has been radiated properly.
      If you just say, "Avera hontu" by rote learning
      with a wandering mind and without concentration,
      then you are not sending metta as you intend to do.
      It is better therefore to recite in one's own vernacular rather than
      in Pali
      so that you really comprehend what you are uttering.
      You should mention a person by name when you send metta;
      For example:
      "May my mother be free from dangers and difficulties;
      may she attain mental and physical happiness;
      may she be in good health
      and may she live long."
      You should say these words with great enthusiasm and sincerity.
      The same holds true for your father, teacher, etc.
      In the case of metta for all living beings
      also you replace 'my mother' with 'all living beings.'
      In short, you can just recite:
      "May my mother be free from danger and may she be well."
      "May my father be..."
      "May my teacher be..."
      The only essential point is to have keen interest and enthusiasm
      for their welfare, peace and progress."
      http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Abhidhamma_In_Daily_Life_By_Ashin_Janakabhiva\
      msa#Developing_Mett.C3.A1

        From: Abhidhamma in Daily Life
        by Ashin Janakabhivamsa

        With metta / Antony.
      • James Mitchell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
          Wow! This is a really good method of sending metta that keeps the ancient and includes the modern. I am impressed by the thoughtful preparation put into this! I will try to use it as much as possible.

          Metta,
          James

          ________________________________

          From: Abhidhamma in Daily Life
          by Ashin Janakabhivamsa

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2011
            Hello James :)

            Yes I was surprised that such a traditional master sounded so modern. The book was written in the 1930's with 13 editions until 1995. The author died in 1977.

            I was considering apologizing for my January thread "Sending Metta & Telepathy" as being delusional, that a commonsense materialistic view would be that metta is received randomly by people one happens to encounter during the day, not who it is sent to in meditation.

            I had been looking for inspiration for reciting metta phrases. And watch this space!

            With metta / Antony.

            To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

            From: Abhidhamma in Daily Life
            by Ashin Janakabhivamsa