Compassion by Ajahn Jagaro (extract)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2010
      "(To be compassionate) simply means opening the eyes, seeing others, seeing the vulnerable living being rather than seeing the enemy, the rival, the ugly man, the desirable woman. These perceptions create barriers to seeing the common existential experience of vulnerability.

      Now that is not too difficult to do, but it does mean an awakening of the mind. It means waking up and actually noticing, recollecting, seeing in this way. So that if I, sitting here, see you as them, out there, either favourably or not, then of course I don't feel very much compassion. I can feel threatened or I can feel attracted, one or the other. But if I see each and every one of you as a human being, then I see myself in you and I know you all feel very much like I do. I don't feel competitiveness, nor do I feel that sense of fear, but quite naturally, I feel //with// you. You can call it compassion, or a sense of communion. We can experience this with anyone. It simply means seeing oneself in others and seeing others in oneself."
      http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha258.htm
      From: Compassion: The Natural Expression of Awakening by Ajahn Jagaro

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2012
        "(To be compassionate) simply means opening the eyes, seeing others, seeing the vulnerable living being rather than seeing the enemy, the rival, the ugly man, the desirable woman. These perceptions create barriers to seeing the common existential experience of vulnerability.

        Now that is not too difficult to do, but it does mean an awakening of the mind. It means waking up and actually noticing, recollecting, seeing in this way. So that if I, sitting here, see you as them, out there, either favorably or not, then of course I don't feel very much compassion. I can feel threatened or I can feel attracted, one or the other. But if I see each and every one of you as a human being, then I see myself in you and I know you all feel very much like I do. I don't feel competitiveness, nor do I feel that sense of fear, but quite naturally, I feel //with// you. You can call it compassion, or a sense of communion. We can experience this with anyone. It simply means seeing oneself in others and seeing others in oneself."
        http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha258.htm
        From: Compassion: The Natural Expression of Awakening by Ajahn Jagaro