Sharon Salzberg - compassion

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2010
      "How do we put compassion into action in our lives? The Buddha gave a
      teaching known as 'the precious human birth,' in which he described
      how rare and precious it is to take birth as a human in the vast
      cosmological scheme, and how as a human it is so rare and precious to
      experience just the right mixture of pleasure and pain to undertake
      deep spiritual inquiry. If there is too much pain in our lives, then
      we are overcome, perhaps needing to concentrate solely on how to
      survive each day. If there is too much pleasure, then we may get lazy
      and not have the motivating spark to look for meaning in our life.

      "This teaching fosters compassion in two ways. First, we can commit
      ourselves to creating for all others the kind of environment in which
      there is space and time enough for a spiritual opening, so that
      people can live according to the knowledge that they will die and
      find that truth that goes beyond this body and mind, which does not
      die. Second, if we see people, no matter what their worldly
      circumstances, squander the precious opportunity for awakening in
      this brief human life, we can be moved to compassion for them. Living
      with this awareness, every aspect of our lives can be an opportunity
      for compassion."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
      Happiness," Shambhala Publications, 1995