Metta For Oneself (Ajahn Sumedho)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 7:11 PM
      "At first metta needs to be something we radiate to ourselves, willing good to this being here, because this creature is the most significant one for us. Maybe we'd rather have metta for our mothers, or for some inspiring figure. It's easier sometimes to send goodwill to some wonderful person or to masses of people like Ethiopians or a billion Chinese. But we have to admit that, in this lifetime, this being is the most significant being for ourselves. This is the being that was born, that we are with all the time. So we admit that.

      It's not a selfish practice, metta for oneself; it's not for selfish gain, it's just the willingness to respect and to learn how live in the right way with these conditions."
      http://web.archive.org/web/20041125195807/http://www.geocities.com/ekchew.geo/Peacehapiness.html
      From: Reflections on Metta by Ajahn Sumedho