Why Goodwill

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      Here are three excerpts followed by my comments:

      "According to one monk teacher, if one has ill-will towards people, and one's merits are sufficient, then one's wishes can come true, which of course leads to further suffering. The opposite of ill-will is goodwill, having the universal wish that people live in harmony with each other whilst one is in seclusion."
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/3746

      And:
      "So think about goodwill for a while
      until you can really see
      why you'd genuinely want to see everybody happy."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations2.html
      From: A Load of Straw by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and
      Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      And:
      "Often people will say... in the part of the practice where we bring a person forward and then offer the lovingkindness to them... that "Oh I thought of the Dalai Lama", somebody like that, and then they will feel kind of strange about that. People will say "He doesn't need me", which may not be true at all, but it's a kind of mental habit that we have."
      http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/SharonSalzberg.html
      From: Metta Practice Retreat Part 2 by Sharon Salzberg,
      Insight Meditation Center, Redwood City, California
      2nd November 2002

      Antony: I made a list of people that I didn't think needed me. Then I thought that they may not need my lovingkindness but they do need me not to have ill-will towards them because it may come true if my merits are sufficient. This means that as a first step I want to genuinely want to see everybody happy ;).