Ill-will vs Anger: Definitions

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2010
      Here are some thoughts about the difference between ill-will and anger, with brief thoughts on their opposites.

      Ill-will is where one resents people and would like to see them suffer, but without getting involved such that one can't be blamed for inflicting the suffering. According to one monk teacher, if one has ill-will towards people, and one's merits are sufficient, then one's wishes can come true, which of course leads to further suffering. The opposite of ill-will is goodwill, having the universal wish that people live in harmony with each other whilst one is in seclusion.

      Anger is where one blames people, loses one's temper, and wants to take matters into one's own hands to be the agent of revenge. The opposite is friendliness, warmth that reaches out and embraces others.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
        (re-post from Feb 2009)