Lily De Silva on general Brahmaviharas

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010
      "The cultivation of positive emotions such as loving-kindness
      (metta), compassion (karuna), sympathetic joy (mudita), and
      equanimity (upekkha) is another means of conquering stress.
      Strained interpersonal relations is one of the common causes of
      stress in household life and in the workplace. Loving kindness is
      the positive wholesome attitude one can cultivate with benefit for
      oneself and others in all interpersonal relationships. Compassion is
      the emotion with which one should regard and help those in distress.
      Sympathetic joy is the ability to rejoice in the joy of another. It
      is difficult for a man of mean character to entertain this attitude
      as the joy of another brings jealousy to the mind of such a person.
      Where there is jealousy there is no unity, and where there is no
      unity there is no progress. The cultivation of these positive
      emotions stands for both material and spiritual progress. Equanimity
      is the attitude to be adopted in the face of the vicissitudes of
      life. There are eight natural ways of the world that we have to face
      in life. They are gain and loss, fame and lack of fame, praise and
      blame, happiness and sorrow. If one trains oneself to maintain an
      equanimous temperament without being either elated or dejected in the
      face of these vicissitudes, one can avoid much stress and lead a
      simple life with peace and contentment. We cannot change the world
      so that it will give us happiness. But we can change our attitude
      towards the world so as to remain unaffected by the stresses exerted
      by events around us. Buddhism teaches the way to bring about this
      wholesome change of attitude."

      ~ One Foot in the World Buddhist: Approaches to Present-day Problems, Lily De Silva
      The Wheel Publication No. 337/338
      SL ISSN 0049-7541
      (for free distribution)