Sympathetic Joy With Others

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2010
      I've been feeling isolated from society because I haven't been meeting many busy people on an equal basis. I used to think mudita was not being jealous about other people's sources of happiness that are superior to my own. Now I'm thinking of many ways that I am fortunate that I have in common with interesting people I'll never know personally e.g. water supply, electricity grid, trains, grocery store etc. etc. I can enlarge my mind, for example by noticing other people boarding a train with me. The population of my world is more than one and I can begin to cultivate the joy of mudita simply by reflecting on my favorite possessions and stopping to consider that many other people are enjoying the same too. I can use my imagination rather than knowledge in my practice of mudita, sympathetic joy with others.

      With metta / Antony.

      This post is recorded in mp3 audio in our files section:
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2010
        I was lying in bed this afternoon feeling separate from others, then I noticed the daylight, that the sun was shining for me and for others simultaneously.