Re: Metta Meditation: Beginning Again (Sharon Salzberg)

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2009
      Sharon W, all,

      So far so good. Sharon Salzberg's phrase "thousands of times" gives me a sense of abundance. I'm going to try envisioning a conveyor belt of thousands of intentions to apply the antidotes to unhappiness of self and others as a support to my ability to practice wholeheartedly in the here and now.

      With metta / Antony.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hi Sharon, Antony and all
        Indeed, countless fresh starts! Wishing you both and all Buddhavihara members a very peaceful year of thousand and thousands of peaceful moments!
        Metta,
        Phil

        To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
        From: antony272b@...
        Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 07:02:24 +0000

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi Phil, Sharon and all,

          When I was having trouble motivating myself to do metta today I said to myself "Where's the conveyor belt?" LOL

          With metta / Antony.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21, 2010
            Reviving this 2009 New Year's Eve thread.

            I posted the following to my dana-giving group but I think the idea can also apply to returning to the meditation seat in metta practice.

            With metta / Antony.

            From: The Dhammapada Stories
            Translated by Daw Mya Tin, M.A.,
            Burma Pitaka Association 1986

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
              Reviving this October 2010 & 2009 New Year's Eve thread.

              Another application of the idea that merit is much more fruitful when one snatches at the smallest opportunity is from Ven Sujiva:

              "Rejoicing adds happiness upon happiness
              until it becomes really blissful.
              All this rejoicing is normally not done
              but can be cultivated.
              Please remember to do that
              if you are practising mudita,
              snatch at the smallest opportunity.
              Rejoicing or sympathetic joy
              has much to do with gratefulness, humility,
              wholesomeness and loyalty.
              It gives us a good emotional attitude
              towards those who are doing well or better than us."
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/2420
              http://www.buddhanet.net/mettab5.htm

              From: The Dhammapada Stories
              Translated by Daw Mya Tin, M.A.,

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2011
                "The heart of skillful meditation is the ability to let go and begin again, over and over again. Even if you have to do that thousands of times during a session, it does not matter. There is no distance to traverse in recollecting our attention; as soon as we realize we have been lost in discursive thought, or have lost touch with our chosen contemplation, right in that very moment we can begin again. Nothing has been ruined, and there is no such thing as failing. There is nowhere the attention can wander to, and no duration of distraction, from which we cannot completely let go, in a moment, and begin again".
                ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness", Shambhala 1995

                Antony: Most meditation instructions assume that you are already staying in the meditation posture for a period of time and beginning again just means mentally coming back to the meditation object. I think this is an advanced level. For myself beginning again means physically returning to the meditation seat in the first place.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 17, 2012
                  Reviving this December 2009 thread.

                  "When you make the willingness to learn the basis for your self esteem, that cuts through a lot of other issues as well. And it's one of the few forms of self esteem that actually keeps you open to change."
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations3.html#self
                  From: Self Esteem by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
                  For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 29, 2012
                    "What we are actually practicing is the art of beginning again, not accumulating a tally of more and more breaths before our attention wanders. As we hone the ability to let go of distraction, to begin again without rancor or judgment, we are deepening forgiveness and compassion for ourselves. And in life, we find we might make a mistake, and more easily begin again, or stray from our chosen course and begin again. We are practicing this in meditation whether we are working with the breath, or awareness of body or emotions, or doing the formal phrases of lovingkindness practice.

                    This is the meta-lesson, forged in the crucible of our effort, our openness to trying, the tenderness of our expanding hearts, our laughter at ourselves, our tears, our humility: we can always begin again. And we will have to."
                    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sharon-salzberg/lovingkindness_b_830380.html
                    From: Opening the Heart with Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg