Meditation like Medicine (Cynthia Thatcher)

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
      "Like medicine, meditation is not something for which one needs an aptitude, but a prescription for illness – the illness called `delusion.'"
      ~ Cynthia Thatcher "Just Seeing: Insight Meditation and Sense-Perception", Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

      Antony: This is a delightful perspective on what is meant by meditation being a skill. I like listening to Ven Thubten Chodron saying "Apply the antidotes". An empowering attitude.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
        I agree. These are skills that can be cultivated. I love the story that the Buddha originally taught metta meditation to monks as an antidote to fear.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10 3:27 AM
          "Like medicine, meditation is not something for which one needs an aptitude, but a prescription for illness – the illness called 'delusion.'"

          ~ Cynthia Thatcher "Just Seeing: Insight Meditation and Sense-Perception", Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

          ++++++++

          "Sometimes you hear people complain that "I can't meditate because my mind is too distracted." It's like saying, "I can't go to the doctor because I'm too sick." No matter how sick you are, you've got to go to the doctor, because that's how you overcome your sickness. And the same way with the distraction. You overcome distraction by meditating: noticing it every time it happens and bringing the mind back. Try to be quicker the next time in noticing when you're distracted."
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/eDhammaTalks_3.pdf
          From: Appropriate Attention by Thanissaro Bhikkhu