Ven. Robina Courtin on love and equanimity

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      "Right now, our love comes with attachment. Right now, especially if
      I am in love with this person, oh my God. Unbelievable, because I
      would die for this person. I am so happy this person is happy. My
      heart breaks when they suffer, my heart is breaking when they suffer.
      I absolutely adore them, I am delighted when they are happy.

      "But excuse me, you watch what happens when suddenly I am seeing that
      he is smiling at someone else and she's making him happy, not me any longer. Do I want him to be happy still? No way. You check. Really, we can see as we say very nicely in the West, it's got strings attached. Or as Lama Zopa puts it, the love we have now for our friend is unstable. We don't think we have a basis for love but of course the basis is because they do what I like, they do what I want, they suit my attachment. As long as they suit my attachment, I am prepared to love them, we can see this. But when they go against my attachment well of course the tap turns off immediately doesn't it, we can see. Our love is not stable now, it has got strings attached."

      ~ Ven. Robina Courtin, "Presenting The Path"
      Module 3 of the Discovering Buddhism at Home series
      www.fpmt.org