Focus On The Goodness In The World (Ajahn Brahm)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2009
      "There is such a thing as goodness in the world.
      We can develop this mudita,
      this celebration of the goodness in others.
      And an amazing thing happens -
      [the goodness] does grow.
      The people we are with tend to
      show that side more to us when we recognize it.
      And we show that side more to ourselves.

      <big snip>

      "What happens when you focus on the badness?
      What sort of energies do you get?
      Do you get depressed?
      Do you get tired?
      Do you get really fed up, 'What's the point?'
      You can never get out of the ruts and the holes in life
      by focusing on the faults and the badness.
      You just get deeper and deeper into a hole.
      You can always focus on the goodness.
      There's always something good there."
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/2123?var=0&l=1
      ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso, "Mudita: Sympathetic Joy"

      http://www.bswa.org

      Thanks to Sharon for posting this in 2005.