Lovingkindness and its near enemy, attachment

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2003
      "What we call love is often attachment, a disturbing attitude that
      overestimates the qualities of the other person. We then cling to
      him or her thinking our happiness depends on that person. Love, on
      the other hand, is an open and relaxed attitude. We want someone to
      be happy simply because he or she existsÂ…

      "Attachment values others' superficial qualities: their looks,
      intelligence, talents, social status and so on. Love looks beyond
      these superficial appearances and dwells on the fact that they are
      just like us: they want happiness and want to avoid suffering."

      ~ Thubten Chodron, "Open Mind, Clear Heart," Snow Lion Publications,
      1990.