Mudita (Elizabeth J. Harris)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
      "To show mudita
      is to show joy
      in the success of others,
      to be free from jealousy or bitterness,
      to celebrate happiness and achievement in others
      even when we are facing tragedy ourselves."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/harris/bl134.html
      From: A Journey into Buddhism by Elizabeth J. Harris
      For Free Distribution with the kind permission of Access to Insight
      and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

        From: A Journey into Buddhism by Elizabeth J. Harris

          From: A Journey into Buddhism by Elizabeth J. Harris

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
            "As for upekkha, equanimity,
            this has often been misunderstood
            as indifference,
            as apathy in the face of human pain,
            the very antithesis of compassion.
            But upekkha is really freedom
            from the self-centeredness
            which clouds understanding
            and destroys true discernment.
            People with upekkha are not pulled this way and that
            by emotional reactions
            that have more to do with the ego
            than with true concern for others.
            They can see right from wrong