Kindness (Sharon Salzberg)

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2009
      If it makes us happy, why doesn't kindness come more easily to us?

      Sharon Salzberg> I think there are a number of reasons.
      Sometimes people don't trust the force of kindness.
      They think love or compassion or kindness
      will make you weak and kind of stupid
      and people will take advantage of you,
      you won't stand up for other people.
      So I think that's just a basic misunderstanding.
      If we really look at the quality,
      like when people have stopped for us and helped us out
      or paid attention to us
      or listen to our story of unhappiness for the hundredth time,
      there's such a sense of appreciation for that ability.
      We don't consider those people stupid or foolish
      with their head in the clouds.
      There's a great energy there.
      We can clear up that misunderstanding.

      Sometimes it's just the force of habit.
      We think if we give to others
      there's not going to be enough for us or we're afraid.
      We have this sense of being in competition
      with the entire universe
      and we don't want to help anyone else out.
      Maybe no one else helped us out, it seems.
      We think we'll lose something from taking time
      or giving care or concern,
      so that's also a misunderstanding
      that through clear seeing can be avoided or transformed."
      http://www.beliefnet.com/story/175/story_17576_1.html
      From: "Is It Uncool to Be Kind?"
      Does being the nice guy or gal mean you're weak or stupid?
      Sharon Salzberg on why we're compassion-phobic.
      Interview by Lisa Schneider

        From: "Is It Uncool to Be Kind?"