Sylvia Boorstein - loving kindness

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2009
      "If I want to build big biceps, I need to use every opportunity to
      practice lifting weights. If I want to live in a way that is loving
      and generous and fearless, then I need to practice overcoming any
      tendency to be angry or greedy or confused. Life is a terrific gym.
      Every situation is an opportunity to practice."

      "It's Easier Than You Think," Sylvia Boorstein
      HarperCollins, HarperSanFrancisco, 1997

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2010
        "The everyday Lovingkindness practice, good wishes for everyone you
        pass, can happen on its own as you carry on with the rest of your
        life. When I decided on the metta phrases I would use, I set them to
        a melody that had a special, private meaning for me and practiced
        them over and over as a chant. I encourage students to do the same.
        I tell them, 'If you do, you'll find that your chant will become like
        a song about which you will say, "I can't get it out of my mind." It
        will stuck there, playing in every spare moment, and it will make you
        happy.

        "So I invite you to do the same. Pick phrases that you like to say.
        Pick a melody - one that you know touches your heart - and see if you
        can make the words fit it. The phrases that I say fit three melodies
        that are dear to me. I think that's because I hoped they would.
        Once you've written your song, sing it to yourself always. You will
        feel different, and people around you will feel you differently."

        ~ Sylvia Boorstein, "Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing
        the Perfections of the Heart, the Buddhist Path of Kindness," The
        Ballantine Publishing Company, 2002.

        May this be of benefit.

        (originally posted in 2004)