Thich Nhat Hanh - cultivating joy

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2009
      "When you have done something good, you are joyful. But when we practice this, if somebody is successful, we feel that it is our success, we are joyful together with him. If you fail an exam that your sister succeeds, you train yourself to be joyful with her success. You don't discriminate¬Ö "oh, she's successful, I am not, I am so mad". No discrimination. You are joyful with her. If somebody has done wonderful work, you are so joyful for him and for you too. Because you feel that you and him/her are one...

      "...Rejoicing together with others is a very good medicine against jealousy. You are joyful with the joy of others. You are joyful with the success of others...

      "...I am joyful with the joy of all the merits, people have done in ten thousand directions. In ten thousand directions there are countless people who practice merit. Every merit done by others, I feel that it's my merit. I feel so joyful, so happy..."

      Taking Refuge, © Thich Nhat Hanh
      http://www.plumvillage.org/