Ven. Sangye Khadro on compassion

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
      "How can we have compassion towards someone who harms us or our loved
      ones? Compassion involves understanding the situation of others. It
      asks us to put ourselves in the other person's shoes. "What is he
      thinking? How does he feel? What makes him behave like this?" If we
      do this with an open heart, we'll realize that the other person is
      not happy, that he is not in control of his own mind but rather that
      he is under the control of his own delusions, which only cause him
      suffering. This will help us to understand that it is more
      appropriate to respond with calm patience than with anger and the
      wish to retaliate."

      ~ Ven. Sangye Khadro (Kathleen McDonald), The Four Immeasurables