Making A Difference (Thanissaro Bhikkhu)

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 7:51 PM
      "If you look for what you're doing
      in terms of your greed, anger and delusion right now.
      Then you can make a difference."
      http://www.dhammatalks.org
      From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      Antony: I hadn't thought that way before.
      So making a difference in the world
      doesn't have to mean changing other people
      but is mostly working with your own mind and body
      that is with you all the time.

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2011
        http://www.dhammatalks.org/prev_year_mp3_index.html
        From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (May 2005)

        Antony: So making a difference in the world doesn't mean changing other people whilst leaving oneself unchanged. Working with greed, anger and delusion is much more immediate here and now than are appointments with other people.

        With metta / Antony.
      • Li Hoon Tay
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2011
          Most of the time we can only see the greed, anger and delusion of others but avoiding to look into our own greed, anger and delusion. This is one home work that we have to keep reminding ourselves.

          lihoon

          To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

          From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (May 2005)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
            "Sitting here with our eyes closed, instead of trying to change things outside, we change things inside. Some people think that the practice is simply a matter of learning how to accept everything just as it is. Well, some things you do accept and some you don't. You learn to accept the fact that the outside world is going to be the way it is. There are always going to be external problems. And the phrase "outside world" here doesn't refer just to other people. Your own body is part of the outside world from the point of view of the Dhamma. And the body contains aging, illness, and death. That's the nature of the body. You can't change that, but what you can change is the mind. This is where you can't just sit around and be equanimous, accepting the mind as it is. You've got to accept that the mind has the potential to change."
            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#dose
            From: A Good Dose of Medicine by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
            For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

            Antony: I like the word "things". "Mind" in my dictionary is "part of a person" and has associations of a mere byproduct of matter. The Pali word is citta which means mind/heart.

            With metta / Antony.

            To: buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
            From: lihoontay@...
            Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:19:30 +0000

            To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

            From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (May 2005)

            Antony: So making a difference in the world doesn't mean changing other people whilst leaving oneself unchanged. Working with greed, anger and delusion is much more immediate here and now than are appointments with other people.

            With metta / Antony.
          • Robert Durkin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
              Outstanding reference, dear Antony.
              THis we need to constantly base our practice on.
              bob in el paso texas

              From: A Good Dose of Medicine by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

              To: buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

              From: lihoontay@...

              Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:19:30 +0000

              To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com

              From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (May 2005)

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
                http://www.dhammatalks.org/mp3_index.html#2005
                From: The Karma of Self & Not-self by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (May 2005)

                Antony: So making a difference in the world can and must be done when in seclusion, which doesn't mean magical thinking re radiating metta but making a difference to the behavior in thoughts, words and deeds of this being here which is the only behavior you can really control anyway.