Thich Nhat Hanh - compassion and sharing

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2009
      If in numberless past lives or in this very life we have practiced
      giving, even if only a handful of food or a simple coat; if we have
      ever spoken kindly, even if only a few words; if we have ever looked
      with the eyes of compassion, even if only for a moment...

      If in numberless past lives or in this very life we have practiced
      giving...

      If we have ever looked with the eyes of compassion, even if only for
      a moment...

      If we have ever offered a meal to monks and nuns, even if only once...

      If we have ever saved lives, even if only that of ants or worms; if
      we have recited sutras, even if only one or two linesÂ…

      All this merit, the wholesome roots which we have put down, today we
      gather all this merit together and respectfully offer it to the
      Buddhas like a fragrant wreath of flowers.

      We offer it all to contribute to the fruit of highest awakening.

      Opening our heart wide, we turn to the perfect highest awakening. We
      are resolved to attain understanding, to realize deep love and
      compassion, to practice diligently, transforming our own suffering
      and that of all species. All the merits of body, speech, and mind I
      want to direct to be part of the happiness of all people and all
      species. That is my deepest desire. Apart from the bodhicitta, apart
      from the thirst for great understanding, apart from the vow to love
      deeply, I have no more desires.

      ~ Excerpted from a commentary by Thich Nhat Hanh on the
      practice "Joyfully Sharing the Merit."

      The entire commentary can be found at
      http://www.buddhist-canon.com/PLAIN/TNHSUTTA/1998%20April%202%20%
      20Sutra%20on%20Measuring%20&%20Reflecting%20(Part%202).htm